Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Registration Now Open for GKTW 5K

The Give Kids The World 5K Run/1K Fun Walk is back again this year at IAAPA Attractions Expo 2008 in Orlando, and registration is now available online. The event will once again take runners and walkers through the gorgeous, serene scenery provided by SeaWorld Orlando.

This event was new last year and drew a surprisingly large crowd of more than 80 entrants. I was there to cover the run for FUNWORLD, and the excitement beaming from both organizers and participants was obvious. After such a successful first outing, there's a good chance this year's return engagement will be even more popular.

Scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 20, the 5K arrives at the perfect spot in the hectic Expo week. After a couple busy days on the show floor, the run offers literally a breath of fresh air as you pass by SeaWorld's famous animals and horticulture. It might even give you the endorphin jolt to carry you through the rest of the show.

And, of course, there's the core of the whole thing: Supporting a tremendous organization. Just in case anyone needs a reminder about what that $25 registration fee will be used for, here's a note from 10-year-old Alyssa GKTW gave me to pass on to you here:

“My name is Alyssa. I am a cancer survivor and a former Wish child for Give Kids The World. I had kidney cancer and I got so sick mommy and the doctors got very scared. Then I got to go to Give Kids The World where I could be happy again. I believe that being at Give Kids The World made me better. I told all my doctors and nurses to send all the sick kids there. Mommy says Give Kids The World made me strong and happy again. When you are little, sick, tired, and scared being lucky enough to go somewhere where no one hurts you and mommies don’t cry is the most special gift in the world! Thank you for helping other sick children have the gift of Give Kids The World too. Some day you should make a special trip there to see just how magical Give Kids The World really is.”

More information about the 5K can be found here (check out even if you don't want to run—maybe you could be a "Silent Runner" and still be a part of the fun). You can also e-mail my colleague Angela Albertini with any questions. More info about GKTW is here.

No comments: